Luntiang Lunes: Malunggay Sushi and California Maki

I feel guilty for not posting regularly for Luntiang Lunes. Although I try my very best to prepare vegetable base for my son's pack lunch everyday. I guess, this lessens my guilt a bit. : ) Anyways, I am back!
For the first Monday of September, I'm sharing a recipe which I found during my search for other ways to prepare and serve malunggay leaves. It's a highschool student's entry to a cooking contest. I'm so impressed by the student's creativity of making a modified nori out of malunggay leaves that I give it right away a shot.

Ingredient: adapted from  Rowena M. Anislagon and Edgelyn M. Garcia recipe from Holy Spirit National High School, Second Runner-up


o         2 pcs eggs
o         ½ cup cornstarch
o         2 cups finely grated malunggay leaves
o         ½ cup water
o         ½ tsp salt
o         1 ½ tsp sugar
o         1 pc cucumber
o         1 pc carrot
o         1 pc ripe mango
o         ½ kl rice
o         ¼ kl malagkit
o         2 pcs pandan leaves
o         2 tsp vinegar 

Preparation instructions:

  1.        Steam rice and malagkit together until cooked. Add vinegar and sugar to taste to cooked rice       and malagkit.
  2.     Grate malunggay leaves in a blender.
  3.       Add beaten eggs to a mixture of cornstarch and water to finely grated malunggay leaves.
  4.         Add salt and sugar to taste.
  5.        Fry ¼ cup of the mixture of malunggay leaves to a non stick pan.
    6.        Roll cooked rice and malagkit in a modified wrapper of malunggay leaves and add filling of       pipino, carrots and ripe mango to form a California maki


I added toasted sesame seeds to prevent the rice from sticking on my sushi mat in rolling the california maki.
As for the sushi, I added also sesame seeds along with the filling. The sesame seeds added more flavor in the absence of the seaweed/nori.
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hi Eileen
    It's a great recipe!
    Don't you know that you can store and share your recipe with more than 13,000 foodies around the world?
    We have an online cookbook and community, and surely we're always looking for more creative recipes to add to our database.
    www.mycookbook.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment