Guinataang Tilapia With Pechay

This Guinataang Tilapia With Pechay is the first dish Mr.A my husband cooked for me. We were only a few days married that time when he took me to a wet market. Together we picked live tilapia, this was the best part I enjoyed doing! Having no idea what he intended to prepare us for dinner, I only followed his lead in the market. He chose and bought a coconut and asked the store keeper to run the coconut's pulp in a shredding machine. Then bought also the other needed ingredients.
Back in his sister's apartment, Mr. A left me with his mom while he cooked. He did not asked at all for help in the kitchen and I missed the chance to see how he prepared our supper. Still in his gallant mood, he served dinner from start to finish. : )
There are two things which make this Guinataang Tilapia With Pechay dish memorable. First, Mr. A cooked it so creamy and tasty that time. Secondly, Mr. A treated me like a princess, his mom still the Queen.
I cooked and served the same dish for Mr.A last Friday. I used frozen tilapia instead of live ones and coconut powder instead of freshly extracted coconut milk. He still enjoyed it though, partnered with garlic fried rice.

Ingredients:
  • 600g tilapia, cleaned and sliced.
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 thumb size ginger, peeled and crushed
  • 1 bunch of pechay, stalks and leaves separated
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons sugarcane vinegar
  • salt and pepper
  • 50g coconut powder
  • 2 pieces green pepper

- Dissolve coconut powder in 1 cup warm water, set aside.
- In a casserole, arrange garlic and ginger at the bottom then slices of tilapia.
- Add 1/2 cup water, sugarcane, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the coconut powder and water mixture. Cook until it thickens.
- Add first the pechay stalks then the leaves and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes
- Serve hot.

Enjoy!

Comments