Ube Jalea or Ube Jam

I used to be an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW). Every time I have my annual vacation, friends asked for ube jam made by Good Sheperd in Baguio City as pasalubong (homecoming gift). Freshly cooked Ube jam in Good Sheperd is so popular that it is often sold out in a day. To give opportunity for everyone visiting their place just to buy ube jam, Good Sheperd rationed by selling only 2 bottles of jam per person in a day. Before such policy was enforced, I had the experience of going their and coming home empty handed. So I said to myself- I should learn how to cook ube jalea close to the Good Sheperd's priced ube jam. : )

Here's an easy recipe of Ube Jalea that my mom and I cooked this weekend. There were 3 kilos of purple yam at home. First wash purple yam and boil in pressure cooker for 10 minutes. Once cooked, peel and grate them. For a finer jam, use blender instead.

Second, Prepare a large wok, melt 1 1/2 cups butter,  add grated boiled purple yam, pour 3 cans of condensed milk and 1/4 cup brown sugar. If one prefers creamy ube jam just add 1 cup powdered milk per kilo of purple yam. For this ube jalea, we cooked it over charcoal for a smokey taste.

 Third, constantly stir the mixture to avoid burning over flame. Cook until very thick.

Fourth, once cooled, transfer ube jalea into bottles or desired containers.

Fifth, smooth the surface with spoon, and keep in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

Comments